Sunday, December 19, 2010

Each Life That Touches Ours for Good

Sometimes it's as close as yesterday and others it feels like a million years back. 4 years ago today we lost "the party" in my family.

Pictures say a thousand words and this one pretty much sums my Dad up well.

Goofy face on, dinking on the computer, with a post it note by his side.

Goofy, because, well, he was a big goof. Someone to make you laugh as you came in the house and greet you with a hug and smile. Dinking, because he always had something to do on the computer. Whether it was our genealogy or trying to upgrade it. And the post it note was his form of organization. I can't tell you the fun they had at his work when they tried to figure out his filing system after he died. Yikes. His last big joke.

The Holiday's make me reminisce more and more each year that passes. On days that it's harder than most, it doesn't always work to tell myself that he is at peace from the worries of the world. You just have to cry it out. I try to remember things about him like his laugh and his mannerisms but it gets harder and harder. There are many times that I'm reminded of something he would do or say and I'm not as afraid to talk about him without tearing up. 

I miss having him around. I think I took it for granted a lot and regret so many silly things that relate to him. That song that talks about having just one more day is right. It would not be enough for me to have just one more day with him. I would wish for many more. So I'm pretty excited that I have the chance to spend eternity with him.

2 comments:

Cory & Alli said...

What a sweet post, Beth. I didn't know your dad died. I'm really sorry for your loss! He's lucky to have such a sweet daughter!

Megan said...

I feel the same way in some days feel like it has been forever and some days something will happen I will almost pick up the phone to call my Mom.
I miss your Dad so much. He was such an amazing and hilarious man.