Monday, December 19, 2011
That is One Good Looking Son of a Gun
.....is what my dad would say to himself in the mirror every morning after getting ready for the day. I learned this from my mom after his death and it does not surprise me!
This time of year always makes me reflect. I have so many fond memories of the holidays with my family. The wood fire going in the fireplace, a fold up table close to it with a 1000 piece puzzle on top, my mom's breakfast casserole, using my dad's huge socks for a stocking, writing to Santa on post-it notes and getting answers back even into my teenage years, opening presents and laughing on those floral couches in the living room. Such a simple time that I sometimes wish I could go back and visit.
I feel much more emotion this month. This random day means a lot more to me now than it ever has. I try not to think about this day, 5 years ago, very much because it's just too hard a memory. I'm sure my dad would rather me be happy and think of better times. I've been profoundly changed by the trials in my life but this one especially. I have a deeper belief in my family being together forever and that there is life beyond this mortal existence. I have often felt my dad's presence in my life watching over me.
There is a song and video on lds.org that has the song Families Can Be Together Forever and Elder Henry B. Eyring talking as well. He speaks of our families and how you can find the greatest joys and the greatest sorrows in family relationships. That statement really speaks to my heart. It makes me realize that my pain is not mine alone but that others have experienced it. The Savior has experienced it. And His spirit can comfort me.
Even if you don't believe in what I believe, I think anyone could gleam an important message from this video, be inspired from it or just listen to the sweet music.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thoughts put beautifully.....Mom
I will always remember him teasing me about having a crush on Jordan :) He was such a neat man
Post a Comment